Memories, Stories and Nostalgia

A forum for news, views, events and nostalgia for the project to help build and restore a Yorkshire Wolds Railway.
DriffieldOnline

Memories, Stories and Nostalgia

Post by DriffieldOnline » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:06 am

Please post any stories, memories, nostalgia etc from the old Driffield to Malton Railway line in this section, this will be of great help for creating displays and publicity material for the future railway restoration project.

If you have any old photos then please email them to us Driffield Online and we will endeavor to create a gallery for the project on this forum.

photos@drifffield.co.uk

csimpson

Post by csimpson » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:44 pm

I came across of great story. In the winter of 1947, the snow on the Wolds was so bad that that the Dodger got stuck in a snow drift (I presume in the Burdale area). It was rescued by the Malton breakdown crew and yet still all the passengers got to York with only a minimal delay! At York, all the passengers were given free over-night stay in a hotel.
Can anybody enlighten me with this story? I really think we should invest in a snow plough! It would be great to see a santa express ploughing its way up the gradient from Fimber to Wharram.

Wildebeeste

Post by Wildebeeste » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:17 am

If memory serves me correctly the Dodger got stuck somewhere between Wetwang and Sledmere Fimber in 1947, the line is very exposed to cross winds all along the wold tops hereabouts. I think it happened at Garton Slack. I am sure I have read about it somewhere. If I come across it again then I will pass on the information.

Wildebeeste

Post by Wildebeeste » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:50 am

Ok, I did a bit of looking in my books and the only thing I have come up with so far is a photo on page 97 of "The Railways of Hull & East Yorkshire" by Michael Thompson, Hutton Press, Cherry Burton, 1992. showing a double header with snowplough attached on January 15th 1958 on a flat section of track near Wetwang heading for Driffield.

The roads were all blocked with snowdrifts so this train was sent out to give supplies and relief to villagers and farmers all along the line. To think that the line closed officially on Monday 20th October 1958 just ten months later.