Rebuilding the Malton & Driffield Railway

A forum for news, views, events and nostalgia for the project to help build and restore a Yorkshire Wolds Railway.
Turnip Town

Post by Turnip Town » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:17 pm

Just another quick message to say a big thank you to all who attended and participated at the latest open meeting at Malton on 17th March. Superb turnout!

The next meeting is in Driffield on Thursday 7th April - see you all there!

Turnip Town

Post by Turnip Town » Fri May 27, 2011 5:35 pm

Hi People,

If anybody is interested in joining the Yorkshire Wolds Railway Restoration Project, there are upcoming opportunities to join in some fun activities. We are putting on displays at the following and new members are always welcome to come along and join in on the day meeting the public, rubbing shoulders with existing society members and finding out a little more of what we are about.

Upcoming events, with dates, at which the society will be putting on a display are:

Sat. 25th and Sun. 26th June Sledmere House Nostalgia Weekend

Sun. 17th July Malton Show at Scampston Park, near Rillington, Malton

Wed. 20th July Driffield Show

Sat. 13th and Sun. 14th August East Riding Engine Club steam &
vintage rally, Driffield.

If anybody is interested, or you know of somebody who might be, then please feel free to e-mail me at secretary@yorkshirewoldsrailway.org.uk.

Cheers!

P.S. As always, you can catch us at www.yorkshirewoldsrailway.org.uk where you can get the latest news as well as visit the public forum where you can ask questions and contribute your views.

Turnip Town

Post by Turnip Town » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:40 pm

Hi All,

A big thanks to all involved at last weekend's society display at the Sledmere House Nostalgia Weekend. Superb weather and lots of excellent period costumes and classic cars.

Malton Show next on Sunday 17th July!

Turnip Town

Post by Turnip Town » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi,

Yet another big thanks to all involved at Scampston Park for Malton Show last Sunday. A bit damp at times but still a great show!

yourincloudcuckooland

Post by yourincloudcuckooland » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:36 am

Really I think this is a nonrunner its not going to work there no people living in that area its a dead area just fields and a few animals...forget it put all your efforts into getting the rillington to pickering route re established now thats something that would help the local economy dont you think?

Turnip Town

Post by Turnip Town » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:05 pm

Hi,

The Yorkshire Wolds Railway Restoration Project has been in existence since October 2008, has a proper constitution, trading company and a membership of over eighty members.

We are currently in ongoing dialogue with East Riding of Yorkshire Council, landowners, funding bodies and other heritage railways to name but a few.

In addition, we are currently in the process of applying for membership of the Heritage Railway Association, the umbrella organisation that provides advice to many heritage lines, museums and groups, including the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.

Also, a feasibility study is currently in progress, to assess the viability of our plans, and this has been made possible due to the successful application to Leader for funding.

We will be in attendance at the East Riding Engine Club steam & vintage rally at Driffield Showground on Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th August if you would like the opportunity to speak with members of the society firsthand.

We are under no illusions as to the nature of our task but we are doing it from a position of careful research and analysis coupled with making contacts with other heritage lines and other interested third parties to ensure we maximise our chances of success.

See you at the steam rally all being well!

DF

Post by DF » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:24 pm

quote:Originally posted by yourincloudcuckooland
Really I think this is a nonrunner its not going to work there no people living in that area its a dead area just fields and a few animals...forget it put all your efforts into getting the rillington to pickering route re established now thats something that would help the local economy dont you think?

Don't let people like this put you off - there is always someone wanting to pour cold water on someone elses' ideas!!
With a Belief in what you are planning to do and the guts to carry it out anything can happen - Follow your dream in spite of them - just to prove how wrong they can be.
Shame I am not 20 years younger, if I were I would be joining you. I can remember travelling from Driffield on the Malton Dodger with my Grandad. Good Luck.
DF

Turnip Town

Post by Turnip Town » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:05 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your kind comments DF, they are much appreciated.

Unfortunately, it seems to be a fact of life that some people will try and pour cold water on somebody's dreams but I suppose resisting that is simply character building, to use a well worn phrase!

As I said in my previous post to the new contributor to these forums however, much background research has been, and continues to be, done in pursuit of our aims which, all being well, will see some physical site work within the next year or two. Tis a fact of life that the administrative groundwork does take time and effort before it starts to bear fruit, but bear fruit it will in the near future.

When we finally get on site, you are most welcome to come down if only to have a look and rekindle a few memories. We will be most happy to give you a warm welcome!

Turnip Town

Post by Turnip Town » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:36 pm

Hopefully we'll be seeing as many of you as possible at the East Riding Engine Club's steam & vintage rally at Driffield Showground over the weekend of Saturday 13th & Sunday 14th August!

Since last year we have purchased some excellent new flags, in society blue. Well, 'teal' actually, but you can now spot our display from a mile away as the flags sit atop some really tall white flag poles so you'll be able to find us easily.

You'll be able to meet and discuss the society's plans with members, whom you'll find are a friendly and amenable bunch, ask questions and perhaps even become a member!

Membership is £12 per year for adults and £5 per year for juniors.

People joining on show days actually receive fifteen months membership, rather than the usual twelve.

We have an increasing range of souvenirs for sale at prices to suit all pockets and for all occasions.

How about one of our miniature station totem fridge magnets ? Each one is a miniature station platform sign and we now have these for each of the nine stations on the Malton & Driffield railway. Perfect as a Christmas stocking filler or you can gradually collect all nine for your fridge door.

Each magnet is £3.50 each.

We also have some fabulous 2012 calendars, selling at £8.50 each, featuring twelve photo's from the railway's heyday plus some information about the society's origin and plans.

There are many other items that may interest you, such as DVD's and books, and all proceeds go towards society funds which are vital as we get closer to being on site carrying out physical restoration work.

Full details of our souvenir range can be found in the online shop at www.yorkshirewoldsrailway.org.uk

We also have a Facebook group for anybody interested in news and developments within the Yorkshire Wolds Railway Restoration Project.

See you at the rally!

Turnip Town

Post by Turnip Town » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:31 pm

Once again, a big thank you all round to all involved with the weekend's society activities at the East Riding Engine Club's steam & vintage rally at Driffield.

New members recruited, further funds raised and the weather behaved itself too.

A big thank you also to all the visitors who came to see us, ask questions and purchase souvenirs!

If anybody knows of old photographs or cine film of the railway in it's heyday or you have any memories you would like to share of your time working or living on or near the line, or indeed have any other experience of the Malton & Driffield Junction Railway, please feel free to contact myself in the first instance at secretary@yorkshirewoldsrailway.org.uk.