Driffield School - 1968 to 1974

A new forum for those school day memories
dbh1961

Post by dbh1961 » Thu May 24, 2007 8:49 am

quote:Originally posted by monkey11
Hi,
I was there too. I go to study at University and I am in Creative Writing class - I met a Mr Weekes this particular year and I didn't have a clue that my family had already known him previously until now. He is a nice welsh man and taught History to my brother, Gary, he even played rugby with my older family. I remember other teachers like Miss Haskins (french) Mr Walker (History) Miss Westmorland (Geography?) Mr Hughes (English) Miss Perry (PE) Mrs Davis (cookery) Mrs Cowley (typewriting) Miss Young and Miss Vernon (maths) Mrs Hoffman, Miss Uncles (needlework). I have forgotten all those other teachers I had but remember Mr Knight and Miss Young going to my parents pub many years ago - it was called 'The Highwayman' back then. Does anyone have a clue who I might be?

Isn't it sad when someone forgets their own name?
Try singing through the song "Happy Birthday to you...." - I find I usually remember my name, when I get to the "Happy Birthday dear *****..." bit

When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, just like my Uncle........not screaming and fighting...... like his passengers
- dbh1961 "This message has been made from 100% recycled pixels"

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Wed May 30, 2007 8:44 am

Does Matron know that your out again? Sit down and be good till those nice men in white coats come to put that nice beige jacket on you. You know, the one that fastens up the back.

dbh1961

Post by dbh1961 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:07 am

The nice men have changed their white coats for beige ones!

- dbh1961 "When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, just like my Uncle........not screaming and fighting...... like his passengers"
- dbh1961 "This message has been made from 100% recycled pixels"

zoe j

Post by zoe j » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:23 pm

Senior Member Member: Galadriel.......

I remember Miss Tock/Religion. Does anyone remember Mr Buxton, took maths and french, but in french lessons he spent most of the time playing battleships on the blackboard! Mrs Spirit/Music which I quite enjoyed although didn't like the recorder! Hated needlework with a passion, which probably is the reason I can't remember the teacher's name!

I attended Driffield school had a few laughs there but wasn't too sorry to leave.

We had a needlework teacher who was called: Miss Dooley (she looked like nanny McPhee - an Emma Thompsom character in a film)

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:19 pm

Miss Dooley took gardening, Miss Took took French and Miss Tock
took art I didn't like school, Mrs Hoffman was a sadist, went in fore humiliation and ridicule.

mandy55

Post by mandy55 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:47 pm

Hi everyone. I was at Driffield school from 1966 to 1971. I remember all the teachers mentioned. My form teacher was Mr Howarth. I remember my class mates Pauline tallityre, Heather Moffat, Wendy Logan, John (egg head)Davies, Sue Woods, Sid Thompson, Stef Thompson.
I was from Hutton Cranswick and remember Titch edmonds, Marlene Jennison, Neil Jeffries, Chris Dove. Graham Sissons, Yvonne Bramall, Duncan Bramall ( great chippy! ) Lyndsay Aitkin ( white horse pub ) Robert Dee. Anyone remember playing Sound yer Holler or playing in the air raid shelters or larking in Swinkle Pit? Those were the days.

Alan Coates

Post by Alan Coates » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:09 pm

I'm amazed that this topic has continued to run for so long! Obviously they were very influential days back them. I attended the Reunion a few years ago, although I think it was aimed at the year who left the 6th form in 1975 (I left in 1973). My wife Sherene was invited, as was my brother Brian. I haven't figured out who Galadriel is yet, or any of the others who (unlike me) are too shy to give their real names. I'd definately be up for another reunion, but if anyone organises it make sure you give plenty of notice because many people visit the forum very occasionally.

Neil58

Post by Neil58 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:20 pm

quote:Originally posted by mandy55
Hi everyone. I was at Driffield school from 1966 to 1971. I remember all the teachers mentioned. My form teacher was Mr Howarth. I remember my class mates Pauline tallityre, Heather Moffat, Wendy Logan, John (egg head)Davies, Sue Woods, Sid Thompson, Stef Thompson.
I was from Hutton Cranswick and remember Titch edmonds, Marlene Jennison, Neil Jeffries, Chris Dove. Graham Sissons, Yvonne Bramall, Duncan Bramall ( great chippy! ) Lyndsay Aitkin ( white horse pub ) Robert Dee. Anyone remember playing Sound yer Holler or playing in the air raid shelters or larking in Swinkle Pit? Those were the days.

Neil58

Post by Neil58 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:29 pm

HI I remember all the things you mentioned ,Sound yer Holla ,Swinkell pit etc,. My brother and me grew up in Cranny and lived on the same road as you and your sister. We had some really great times then and we all seemed to get along with each other .The kids today are missing out on the laughs and adventures we used to have.My brother lives in Leyland in Lancashire now and is really disabled with MS, but as usual nothing bothers him and he gets on with life. I settled in Driff and still live here ,why move from a place you like ?eh.

jynks2001

Post by jynks2001 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:27 am

im looking for a lady called Francise grossier? or something of that variation, does anyone recognise that name she would be around 50ish now. thanks