Driffield School - 1968 to 1974

A new forum for those school day memories
Galadriel

Driffield School - 1968 to 1974

Post by Galadriel » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:32 pm

Hi, anybody out there who was at Driffield County Secondary from 1968 to 1974, as it was then known? Anyone remember Mr and Mrs Jackson, he was deputy head and she was history teacher, Mr Dowson/Maths, Mr Weekes/English (still in Driff), Malcolm Knight/Geography (quite dishy), Mrs Crosby/Maths, Miss Westmorland/Geography, Mrs Cook/Music and 'Spitfire' Aldred/Cookery?

sue

Post by sue » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:42 am

I was at Driff School from 1958 to 1963 and remember "Spitty" Aldred (needlework) also I think Miss Westmoreland (French) Mrs Hoffman (RI)
Miss Robinson (cookery) Mr "Gaffer" Flowers (history) Mr Dodds (English)Mrs Horner (maths) Miss Tock (art) Miss Brown (head) Miss Coward (deputy)
Sue

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:20 am

I remember Mr Alan Science. Miss Perry biology who went to New Zealand. Mrs Hoffman the sadist took pleasure in humiliation. Miss Tock the art teacher , nice lady. Miss Coward sewing.Miss Brown head teacher. Harry Benson bless him, Mrs Bratby good fun. Miss Uncles french terrible lesson. "God-Bod" cant remember his name but took RI and after about 5 mins started preaching waving his arms about!He asked one lad who knocked down the walls of Jerico, the lad said Rin-Tin Tin and he went bonkers. Miss Shepherdson- the only tone deaf music teacher in the world- what a racket lessons were like torture took a long time to get to love music. Mr "the slipper" Taylor deputy Head teacher. I learnt very little at school and hated every minute.

Galadriel

Post by Galadriel » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:38 pm

I remember Miss Tock/Religion. Does anyone remember Mr Buxton, took maths and french, but in french lessons he spent most of the time playing battleships on the blackboard! Mrs Spirit/Music which I quite enjoyed although didn't like the recorder! Hated needlework with a passion, which probably is the reason I can't remember the teacher's name!

monkey11

Post by monkey11 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:13 am

Hi,
I was there too. I go to study at University and I am in Creative Writing class - I met a Mr Weekes this particular year and I didn't have a clue that my family had already known him previously until now. He is a nice welsh man and taught History to my brother, Gary, he even played rugby with my older family. I remember other teachers like Miss Haskins (french) Mr Walker (History) Miss Westmorland (Geography?) Mr Hughes (English) Miss Perry (PE) Mrs Davis (cookery) Mrs Cowley (typewriting) Miss Young and Miss Vernon (maths) Mrs Hoffman, Miss Uncles (needlework). I have forgotten all those other teachers I had but remember Mr Knight and Miss Young going to my parents pub many years ago - it was called 'The Highwayman' back then. Does anyone have a clue who I might be?

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:54 pm

Never mind do you remember this operson orthat person or guess who I am- When are we going to get a reunion sorted out ???

Galadriel

Post by Galadriel » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:40 pm

Plook, we held a reunion about 5/6 years ago for those of a certain age that attended Driffield school at a certain time and a very interesting and informative time it was too. Several of our old teachers attended. What was most interesting was how many people seemed to be drawn back to Driffield to live, even though they said at 17 that they were leaving and would never set foot in Driffield again.I have to admit I've done it myself, said I would never come back but here I am!

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:01 pm

Could we organise another one before we all snuff it! I didn't know about the previouse reunion or I would have attended.What happened to Miss Perry?does anyone know? Driffield is what we leave but return to when we can, only to leave again.

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:34 am

Come on,come on when is the next reunion?????????

Galadriel

Post by Galadriel » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:45 pm

Why don't you organise one plook as no-one else seems as if they're going to?