Wold Newton Pub in 1700's

General discussion, News, Appeals, Announcements, etc. from Villages in and around the Yorkshire Wolds
peter2003

Wold Newton Pub in 1700's

Post by peter2003 » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:06 pm

My anscestor Richard Ireland owned a pub called the Red Lion in Wold Newton from the 1750's to around 1800. According to a website about Wold Newton, today there is a pub called the Anvil Arms which is said to have been originally built in the early 1800's on the site of the old blacksmith shop.

Does anyone know if there is a local family or a historian that would know about Wold Newton during this period. (A long shot but worth asking?)

Peter

ebaker

Post by ebaker » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:00 pm

Hi Peter,

As luck would have it my Mum is now the proud owner of "The Anvil Arms" and I am doing a bit of digging around myself. The history is slightly jumbled as the out buildings which used to be the Blacksmiths still stands outside the main building (a little worse for ware but still with some original features partially intact).
As a strong local community the local history, just from word of mouth, goes back some 100 years. I would not want to get ahead of myself but it would seem perfectly plausable for the pub to have been re-named somewhen in the past... I can vouch that the pub is not built on top of the blacksmiths but forms part of the grounds, also up until the 1920's I believe the pub and blacksmiths ran alongside each other.
I would be really interested to see if you have had any further findings [:)]

cobb

Post by cobb » Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:35 pm

hi ebaker & peter2003,
i don't wether this will help but there has been a book published and i found this on the website www.travelpublishing.co.uk/HiddenInnsYorkshire
i hope that this will help any of u.
I used to work at the anvil arms until i had 2 go 2 work in sark and go to college.
hope u are ok ebaker

s.cobb
s.cobb

Steve James

Post by Steve James » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:36 am

Just thought I'd mention "The Anvil" has recently under gone a considerable amount of refurbished,(least the bar and lounge area anyway) I happened to call in a few months back (May 08) during a round robin bike ride from Scarborough to Malton and back via Wold Newton, a nice "real ale" pint was enjoyed as much as the hospitality from the bar staff.

Worth a visit if anyone is into that sort of thing.

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:32 am

Why can't english heritage do something to preserve the enlish pub before they are all shut down updated into either a sleek unpersonalised minimalist establishment or a pseudo olde worlde place with fitted carpets etc and or the gastro-pub its not a pub its a resteraunt

peter

Post by peter » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:09 am

Its been a long time since I started this topic, but here is the evidence for the name "Red Lion".

My research into the Ireland Family that lived in Wold Newton in the 1700's has revealed the following information about the site of the Anvil Arms Public House. The Registry of Deeds for the Ireland property has the following extract dated 17/8/1799.
"OF AND CONCERNING all that cottage, tenement or dwellinghouse (being a Public House by the sign of the Red Lion) with the new erections, yard, garden and appurtenances thereunto belonging, situate and being in Wold Newton aforesaid and also all that piece or parcel of arable, meadow, or pasture ground adjoining on the east part thereof, and containing by estimation 3 roods (be the same more or less) all which said premises adjoin other premises now belonging to Richard Ireland towards the south and east, the King's High Road north and the Marr
on or towards the west and were late (with one other rood of land) in the occupation of John Shipley, but now of the said Moses Ireland, his tenants or assigns."

Peter

tolkien

Post by tolkien » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:00 am

Hi Peter - very interested in this topic -

I have a William Ireland (My great great great great great grandfather
Birth 27 Feb 1771 in Wold Newton, Yorkshire, , England in my tree, parents: William Ireland
Birth ABT 1742 in South Cave, East Yorkshire, England
Death ABT 1785 in South Cave, East Yorkshire, England
and
Mary Martin
Birth ABT 1746 in South Cave, East Yorkshire, England
Death

Would any of these be related to your family tree?

Best regards,

Tom

peter

Post by peter » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:32 pm

Hi Tom,

Very interesting information you provided.

I have a William Ireland 27 February 1771 born Wold Newton son of my Richard Ireland and Jane Ward mentioned in this thread.

Richard and Jane's children were Susanna, John, Richard, Michael, Mary, William, Moses, Robert, Jane, Ann. All born Wold Newton.

Richard was my 5th great grandfather. If we are talking about the same William born 1771 then we are distant cousins?

Cheers
Peter