Duggleby Village

General discussion, News, Appeals, Announcements, etc. from Villages in and around the Yorkshire Wolds
The Rambler

Duggleby Village

Post by The Rambler » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:35 am

It's a shame the comments are not shown in reverse chronological order as the positive comments about Duggleby are far more abundant. Kevin must have had some unrest within himself to feel the need to bare his grudges on such a beautiful part of our country. I lived in Duggleby for a short time and can say there was never any unrest among the community. There are a few affordable houses on the outskirts of the main village and the families I encountered from there were not as described by Kevin (unless he was in fact the bad apple in the cart!!) I never had any thing stolen from my property, vandalised or damaged and would quite happily leave windows and doors open 24/7 with the comforting knowledge I was indeed living in a very safe environment. OUr Neighbourhood watch scheme had very little to report.

Duggleby residents today are very very fortunate to live in such a tranquil setting with some of the most stunning countryside walks and stupendous views across to the Vale of Pickering, Vale of York, North York Moors etc etc etc. Just a short drive brings you to every conceivable convenience you could need without the hassle of the necessity to travel to York. I often marvel at my good fortune to have had the opportunity to live in such a phantasmagorical place and unfortunately had to move as my work demanded me to head South...........God forbid!

One day I shall hope to return to Duggleby as a permanent resident and hope that house prices remain in my affordibility.

I return to Duggleby frequently and witness what I miss out on daily. As the village matures, so do the friendships of the neighbours. Message to residents..........keep the secret to yourselves, keep the house prices affordable and enjoy your good fortune.

DriffieldOnline

Post by DriffieldOnline » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:08 am

Note from Admin : In response to 'The Ramblers' post today, the outdated Duggleby posts have now been deleted.

Please feel free to write some 2011 comments and news from the village below!

eveshamsteve

Post by eveshamsteve » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:39 pm

Note to admin. I cannot believe you have removed previous posts regarding Duggleby. There were many positive posts as well as a few negative. Altogether they made a fuller more interesting picture.

I also posted several pictures taken of Duggleby back in the 1980s. All have now been removed.

Seems you can just delete everyones efforts at the stroke of a button. I shall not be bothering to submit any more contributions in the future.

I hope you reinstate them. This should be a forum for everyone. You may not agree with everyone's view but it's unfair to have censored them the way you have.

DriffieldOnline

Post by DriffieldOnline » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:18 pm

I actually intended to delete an inappropriate post but unfortunately i clicked on the wrong icon and deleted the whole topic!

i did try to get it all back at the time, but then after one actual resident wrote 'negative comments of years ago are now irrelevant!!!', i thought it may be time to start 2011 with a clean slate.

I shall try to retrieve the old content, and in future i will just let these topics run.

DriffieldOnline

Post by DriffieldOnline » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:34 pm

Author
 Topic  

kevins27
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  2:34:37 PM

duggleby is not a village for people 60+ if it was , i must be wrong age then as im only 26 and there is more kids in this village than before, but in comparison duggleby is just as bad as moss side in manchester as at min it is like a war zone kids are getting worse and parents are just as bad so if u think duggleby is peaceful village u would be wrongkevinslight

Pete
Senior Member Member

Driffield, East York
131 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2008 :  01:37:02 AM 

It seems like you are answering back here Kevin, but I can't see who to? Was it in another post somwhere on here about Duggleby ?

TheMover
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  10:56:17 AM

Kevin (and Pete, or anyone else!)I'm considering moving to Duggleby, so thought I'd do a little research and came across - with concern! - Kevin's comments. Is there currently an issue with behaviour in the village? I'm not in my 60's by the way (I saw the earlier post Kevin) but do have 2 kids and wouldn't want them getting involved with any undesirables!Thanks in advance for your honest and open comments - I look forward to them!

Pete
Senior Member Member

Driffield, East York
131 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  3:54:32 PM

Having never been to Duggleby I wouldn't like to comment, but i'm guessing Kevin has had a bad experience with kids there. Surely it isn't all that bad!

TheMover

Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  8:47:01 PM

Thanks Pete. If anyone out there has any experience of Duggleby - good, bad or indifferent - I'd really appreciate your thoughts and comments.Cheers.

mikejeff
Average Member

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  6:03:21 PM

i lived in duggleby 14 years on northstead estate its the idiots who move down there from the northeast that are the problem i moved out last year as the house we had was only had 2 bed rooms and i have 4 children there was nothing but hassel as a family not living in duggleby used to drop their kids off and all they did was cause problems as that family in my view duggleby isn`t as bad as it used to be back in the 80`s when people used to steal your coal this kevin has only been in duggleby about 12 months so what he knows about duggleby you could write on a postage stampive lived local to the village all my life until august last year so my advice don`t move in to the northstead estate !!! howe view is better area of duggleby mike jefferson

eveshamsteve

5 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  7:43:41 PM

I lived in Duggleby in the 80's and it was a beautiful place to live. Half an hour's drive to either York, Scarborough or Bridlington, with beautiful countryside all around. And as for people stealing your coal, if that is all you had to worry about you were very privileged.Go to Birmingham, Coventry, Middlesbrough (any major town or city) and see the huge problem with drugs which is fueling REAL crime.To the gentleman considering moving to Duggleby I would say don't hesitate.

mikej
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2009 :  12:09:42 AM

, and very cold winters with loads of snow often getting blocked in for days on end, one year a rescue helicopter had to bring in rations. My grandma ran the local post office and my uncle rented a small farm from Birdsall estates that was situated to the west of the village. We travelled by bus to sledmere school, there were the Hopper fammily, the Midgleys, Crofts and Garbutts who lived in the converted chapel, we were the Johnsons, and we all adored Duggelby, but things were so different in those days, mike.

eveshamsteve

5 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2009 :  11:24:21 PM

I remember the Garbutts at the post office. One of only two places in Duggleby you could spend any money. The other being the telephone box. I believe it's just the phone box left now.I look back at my life in Duggleby and realise how lucky I was to have lived there. A different pace of life altogether. Almost like going back to the 19th Century. And I mean that in a positive way.The people were friendly. The countryside breathtakingly beautiful. No noise or pollution. A truly lovely place to live and a safe community in which to bring up children.

Edited by - eveshamsteve on 18 Aug 2009 6:27:49 PM

eveshamsteve

5 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2010 :  10:34:26 PM

No new posts since last May. Come on, their is not much to keep you busy in Duggleby! Write something for goodness sake!

StuandSal

Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  6:13:05 PM

We moved into Duggleby in June 2010. After making an offer on our home we were shocked to read comments about earlier goings on in Duggleby. Thank goodness we didn't listen to all the inference of so-called troublesome families living in Homestead. Duggleby is a peaceful, beautiful village with so much to offer. Our neighbours are the friendliest and most genuine people you could hope to meet. We have not encountered any noise, disturbance or inconvenience of any kind since we moved here. We have the usual sounds of the countryside such as Owls hooting, cows mooing,beautiful birdsong and during the harvesting of all the abundant crops, the farm machinery busy at work. We are in the midst of a severe bout of bad weather but the roads have been constantly gritted and ploughed by Ryedale and the local farmers. ( Thank you to you all)!!We have no regrets about moving to Duggleby and hope to be here for many years. Don't believe all you read on this forum. Duggleby is our slice of heaven.

eveshamsteve

5 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  7:11:36 PM

StuandSal describe Duggleby as their "slice of Heaven". I totally agree. The Yorkshire Wolds are a wonderful "secret". This was my house - 4 Howe View, my daughter Sarah-Jane in the garden. She would have been about five. Picture taken in about 1987.http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/230/ ... in.jpg/The road leading to Duggleby from Sledmere.http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/3702/duggleby.jpg

Edited by - eveshamsteve on 13 Jan 2011 7:27:54 PM

plook
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
924 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2011 :  8:59:24 PM

I passed through Dugalby the other day.

AandA

Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  9:39:54 PM

We have lived in Duggleby for 8 years with 3 children and have loved the countryside and community spirit.There are now lots of newly built houses so the village has really expanded. Families look after their properties and surroundings.It is a perfect place for walks,cycling and horseriding. Sadly people from away have a very wrong image of the village and haven't seen how much of a community there now is here. Duggleby is a safe, beautiful and quiet place to live and any negative comments of years ago are now irrelevant!!!

Topic  

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:17 pm

It must be the air in Duggleby.

eveshamsteve

Post by eveshamsteve » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:42 pm

Well done Admin for reinstating the deleted posts. People can now read the entire topic and realise the positive comments by far outweigh the odd negative point of view.