Warter Priory

General discussion, News, Appeals, Announcements, etc. from Villages in and around the Yorkshire Wolds
Pianoman

Post by Pianoman » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:48 pm

I would be interested to know if the house was in good condition in the 60's. The more photos I see of the original house and gardens the more angry I become over sheer vandalism of destroying it all just for the land.

Judith

Post by Judith » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:41 am

quote:Originally posted by SueCrowe
I do have some tiles from the grand hallway of warter priory. My dad was, at one time, Headkeeper for the warter estate and we used to use the Priory Gardens, over the road about half a mile from the priory, to raise pheasant chicks. At the beginning all the green houses were still there with grapes, figs and other fruits still growing. The Priory was an amazing place and the ornamental gardens with their watch towers were themed and had a chinese garden, rose gardn etc it was wonderful.

Hi Sue
My father went to work in the gardens at Warter Priory on leaving school in ~1932. I am writing up a brief history and wondered if you had an photographs I could maybe have copies of please?
Thank you. Judith

carracar

Post by carracar » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:08 pm

quote:Originally posted by Penny
I have looked for records for Warter Priory as our family history appears with workers from the estate - unfortunatley mine are when the Wilson family are there - the dear Lady Nunburnome destroyed all records from that time which wasnt very helpful for me - Previous records from te PENNINGTON family are with University of HUll detailed on the website if its of any help. I agree with the feelings of the demolition it would have been lovley to see the house - all in all Warter is a very interesting place being in private ownership for many years - if anyone else is doing research please give me a mail I would be very interested. PENNY
if you look at pocklington history some good photos and interesting stuuf carracar

k durkin
k durkin

carracar

Post by carracar » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:12 pm

quote:Originally posted by carracar
quote:Originally posted by Penny
I have looked for records for Warter Priory as our family history appears with workers from the estate - unfortunatley mine are when the Wilson family are there - the dear Lady Nunburnome destroyed all records from that time which wasnt very helpful for me - Previous records from te PENNINGTON family are with University of HUll detailed on the website if its of any help. I agree with the feelings of the demolition it would have been lovley to see the house - all in all Warter is a very interesting place being in private ownership for many years - if anyone else is doing research please give me a mail I would be very interested. PENNY
if you look at pocklington history some good photos and interesting stuuf carracar
look for bloodwort

k durkin

k durkin
k durkin

carracar

Post by carracar » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:14 am

quote:Originally posted by Pianoman
Does anyone know of a comprehensive collection of photos of this house, both internal and external and maybe of the demolition. Are there people around who worked there and have first hand knowledge of life there during the Wilson and Vestey occupations. Anyone know where the visitors' book may be etc. I am very interested in the house and unfortunately never got the chance to visit it before demolition.

Pianoman
Priince Albert Victory - his Royal Highness Prince Albert Victory arrived at Water Priory,the seat of Mr C. H.W Wilson M. P.on Thursday night .having travelled from York to Pocklington by special train.his Royal Highness was met at the station by Mr.Wilson, and the party at once proceeded to the Priory.To meet his Royal Highness ther were Lord and Lady Galway , Lord and Lady Burton Mr.Digby Cayley and Miss Cayley,Mr. and Mrs Menzies,and Mrs.Clark.The Prince will shoot over the home covers of his host.sat dec 10th 1851

k durkin
k durkin

carracar

Post by carracar » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:02 pm

quote:Originally posted by carracar
quote:Originally posted by Pianoman
Does anyone know of a comprehensive collection of photos of this house, both internal and external and maybe of the demolition. Are there people around who worked there and have first hand knowledge of life there during the Wilson and Vestey occupations. Anyone know where the visitors' book may be etc. I am very interested in the house and unfortunately never got the chance to visit it before demolition.

Pianoman
Priince Albert Victory - his Royal Highness Prince Albert Victor arrived at Water Priory,the seat of Mr C. H.W Wilson M. P.on Thursday night .having travelled from York to Pocklington by special train.his Royal Highness was met at the station by Mr.Wilson, and the party at once proceeded to the Priory.To meet his Royal Highness ther were Lord and Lady Galway , Lord and Lady Burton Mr.Digby Cayley and Miss Cayley,Mr. and Mrs Menzies,and Mrs.Clark.The Prince will shoot over the home covers of his host.sat dec 10th 1851

k durkin The Golden Valley Water is one of the most famous shoots of all it was in the Guiness Book of records for most game in a shoot Mr Vestys Butler told me about 1936-7 a gang off nazis including Hitler tried to get a invite to Water to shoot it was Thrown into the Bin on the orders of Mr Vesty

k durkin
k durkin

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:05 pm

Is Prince Albert Victory the husband of Queen Victoria?

carracar

Post by carracar » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:47 pm

quote:Originally posted by plook
Is Prince Albert Victory the husband of Queen Victoria?
yes plook albert victor I put it wrong

k durkin
k durkin

nell

Post by nell » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:14 pm

Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (Francis Albert Augustus Charles Emmanuel)was Queen Victoria's husband - no mention of Victor.

richard beale

Re:

Post by richard beale » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:03 pm

SueCrowe wrote:I do have some tiles from the grand hallway of warter priory. My dad was, at one time, Headkeeper for the warter estate and we used to use the Priory Gardens, over the road about half a mile from the priory, to raise pheasant chicks. At the beginning all the green houses were still there with grapes, figs and other fruits still growing. The Priory was an amazing place and the ornamental gardens with their watch towers were themed and had a chinese garden, rose gardn etc it was wonderful.
Hello Sue, it's a pity this site stalled for a while, well it did for me, but back on deck. It's all a long time ago, when I was there, and shooting there, in the early/mid 60's Tom England was the Headkeeper on the estate - great character. What was/is your Dad's name as I'm sure my mother will remember him. She is 95 and still going strong.
Regards richard beale.