Warter Priory

General discussion, News, Appeals, Announcements, etc. from Villages in and around the Yorkshire Wolds
Pianoman

Warter Priory

Post by Pianoman » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:49 am

Does anyone know of a comprehensive collection of photos of this house, both internal and external and maybe of the demolition. Are there people around who worked there and have first hand knowledge of life there during the Wilson and Vestey occupations. Anyone know where the visitors' book may be etc. I am very interested in the house and unfortunately never got the chance to visit it before demolition.

Pianoman

wend

Post by wend » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:07 pm

hi i don't know if you have already been on google.co.uk but i went on earlier and found the priory, there is a choice of what to go on i went on one about the forth or fifth one down about a land owner or something like that, it also has a list of the people who worked there and the names you mentioned are there,i don't know if this has been of any help or that you will be able to understand this message, but have a look anyway, it is a magnificent house.... wendy

Pianoman

Post by Pianoman » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:04 pm

Thanks Wendy. Yes, this is a very interesting site which I have seen before. Anyone interested in this great house will find the site very good.
It beggars belief that this house could have been demolished, and in recent years I am sure it would have been saved. It is also features in "Lost houses of the East Riding" by David Neave and Edward Waterson.

Richard (Pianoman)

Penny

Post by Penny » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:02 pm

I have looked for records for Warter Priory as our family history appears with workers from the estate - unfortunatley mine are when the Wilson family are there - the dear Lady Nunburnome destroyed all records from that time which wasnt very helpful for me - Previous records from te PENNINGTON family are with University of HUll detailed on the website if its of any help. I agree with the feelings of the demolition it would have been lovley to see the house - all in all Warter is a very interesting place being in private ownership for many years - if anyone else is doing research please give me a mail I would be very interested. PENNY

Pianoman

Post by Pianoman » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:20 am

There is clearly a lot of information in the Brynmor Jones library at Hull university. In "The Wilsons of Tranby Croft", Gertrude Attwood quotes from "The Life and Times of Charles Henry Wilson" by Rhoda Lamb. This is evidently a thesis at the University.
The last time I visited the area (about 7 years ago) there were perople around who had worked at Warter Priory.
I am really after photos of the house and gardens. I remember from my childhood in Bridlington that there were almost incessant coach trips to Warter Priory in the summer season. If only i had been taken!Country House nostalgia can be a painful affliction!

BJ

Post by BJ » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:32 am

mike1

Post by mike1 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:21 pm

I have one of the sale catalogues from 1972 listing the last remaining items to be sold before demolition, the list includes the clock tower,marble staircases,oak panelling,doors,floors,baths etc, I remember looking round the house a few days before the sale and being heartbroken at the thought of it all being destroyed.

SueCrowe

Post by SueCrowe » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:08 pm

I do have some tiles from the grand hallway of warter priory. My dad was, at one time, Headkeeper for the warter estate and we used to use the Priory Gardens, over the road about half a mile from the priory, to raise pheasant chicks. At the beginning all the green houses were still there with grapes, figs and other fruits still growing. The Priory was an amazing place and the ornamental gardens with their watch towers were themed and had a chinese garden, rose gardn etc it was wonderful.

richard beale

Post by richard beale » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:43 pm

quote:Originally posted by SueCrowe
[br]I do have some tiles from the grand hallway of warter priory. My dad was, at one time, Headkeeper for the warter estate and we used to use the Priory Gardens, over the road about half a mile from the priory, to raise pheasant chicks. At the beginning all the green houses were still there with grapes, figs and other fruits still growing. The Priory was an amazing place and the ornamental gardens with their watch towers were themed and had a chinese garden, rose gardn etc it was wonderful.

richard beale

Post by richard beale » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:54 pm

Sorry, guys, I haven't quite got the hang of this forum yet, so bear with me for a moment, please.
I am one of the grandsons of GEV and lived at the Priory in the mid 1960's. Believe it or not, my Mother is still alive and full bottle, as we say in Australia, at the age of 93. Fire off any questions quickly and she'll probably have the answers!