Crashed Spitfire on 12/10/1943

For local stories, memories and Information of the RAF bases and their crews.
Mark23

Crashed Spitfire on 12/10/1943

Post by Mark23 » Sat Jun 23, 2001 12:22 am

Spitfire piloted by F O Van Hecke is reported to have crashed, pilot killed, near Hutton Craswick on October 12th 1943.
Can anyone find local press or knowledge of this incident. The Spitfire may hve been with one of the following Squadrons. 411, 609, 332, 349 and was named The Cannock Chaser.

blackadder

Post by blackadder » Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:23 am

Spitfire crashed at South Hall Cranswick, 12-12-42 . B.L.Kowalski 316 squadron Polish Air Force.

Mark23

Post by Mark23 » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:02 pm

Sorry I have not responded before but thanks for the various bits of information on the Spitfires

Dee

Post by Dee » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:13 am

Is this the one? This is from the Driffield Times, the date of publication as shown. News blackouts restrict research, but there may be something published after the war. I'm currently recording all the relevant local items for WW2, but only up to 1944 at present. This is all that I have which may possibly relate to the incident you mention.

April 22, 1944
WATTON CARR FARMER AWARDED THE M.B.E.
SAVED AIRMAN FROM BLAZING PLANE
When an aircraftman crashed and burst into flames, Mr William Scholey, a farmer, of Watton Carrs, Hutton Cranswick, hurried to the scene.
He found two members of the crew stumbling about in a dazed condition and guided them to safety. The remaining three members of the crew were still in the wreckage.
Regardless of blazing petrol and exploding ammunition, he went to the aid of the trapped men.
With assistance he extricated two, dragging them clear of the flames. The third, the rear gunner, was also pulled out of the turret, but was dead. Although burned Mr Scholey took the injured men to his home and did everything possible for them until an R.A.F. medical party arrived. He has been awarded the M.B.E.
Mrs Scholey was complimented by the R.A.F., M.O., for her nursing of the five survivors. Later she found herself without several necessary household articles which had been used for bandages and no coupons with which to obtain their replacement.
She casually mentioned this to the station commander during a visit to the farm, and by return of post Mrs Scholey received 25 coupons subscribed by air-crew personnel of the squadron to which the crashed aircraft belonged.

Guido

Post by Guido » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:52 pm

Hi,

I believe William Scholey received the MBE for rescuing a Halifax crew that crashed on his farm not Spitfire.

See

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/guido.thom ... ings.xhtml

historyman

Post by historyman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:06 pm

F.O. Van Hecke r.a.f. v.r. [Belgian Sqd.] did crash at Bridlington,he 13th october 1943, in his spitfire "Cannock Chaser",his body was returned home after the war ,he was based at r.a.f. Acklington .

This crash did not happen at Cranswick , i have interviewed one of the Brid firemen that attended the incident, so my research on this crash is now finished and i may erect a memorial to him in the future.