Halifax crash 16 dec 1943 hutton cranswick

For local stories, memories and Information of the RAF bases and their crews.
matt bradley

Halifax crash 16 dec 1943 hutton cranswick

Post by matt bradley » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:46 am

Researching any info related to this crash they were from 466 sq RAAF Leconfield. I know they crashed into decoy farm paddocks. Scholey family helped remaining crew. They were in a Halifax III HX 296.

This info is for the surviving australian navigator who was badly burnt. Went through Rauceby and East Grinstead becoming a Guinea Pig member. He is still going strong at 87 in Melbourne Australia. This is for him.

Any info at all about plane or family or crash etc greatly appreciated.

Matt Bradley
Melbourne

orinoco

Post by orinoco » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:23 pm

Hi Matt.

The plane actually crashed just south west of Decoy house farm, 300 meters from the farm itself, there is a small spinney (wood) there now. small amounts of ammunition can still be found when we are working the land, other than that there is very little to see. there is one member of the scholey left and he lives in Hutton Cranswick, 5 miles from the farm, he is the grandson of mr scholey who helped the men from the plane.Also i found the two websites below, which are about the plane in question.

http://www.theoddbods.org/2004_02/oddsnends02.htm
http://halifaxlv827.co.uk/hx296.htm

Guido

Post by Guido » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:45 pm

Matt,

My Grandfather was the H2S instructor on this aircraft. He survived with a fractured spine and burns.

My Grandmother kept a couple of cuttings relating to the crash and I have posted them at

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/guido.thom ... ings.xhtml

DriffieldOnline

Post by DriffieldOnline » Sun May 06, 2012 10:30 pm

WWII pilot Flt Sgt Angus McBean honoured at Hempholme
A World War II pilot who died when his aircraft crashed in East Yorkshire has been honoured.
A bird-watching hide and display dedicated to Flt Sgt Angus McBean has been unveiled at Hempholme Meadows, the site where the pilot lost his life.

Yorkshire Water uncovered the wreckage of the plane during a restoration project earlier this year.
Family members of the pilot attended the ceremony after the water company made an appeal for information.

Flt Sgt McBean, who was 25, died when his Bristol Blenheim MK1 twin-engined aircraft crashed on a night-time training flight.
Richard Hampshire, Yorkshire Water's Tophill Low warden, said: "The family were absolutely elated to find out more news.

"They had tried to uncover the story of Angus' death but because it was during World War II everything was kept very hush hush.

"There were very few records kept and it wasn't reported in the press at the time for fear of bad publicity.

"We thought it would be a good idea to name it after him in order that he be remembered forever."

patk

Post by patk » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:06 pm

Hi
My father, George Kent, was the flight engineer on this plane. He recovered from his injuries and flew again. He was shot down over France in June 1944 and spent the remainder of the war in a prisoner of war camp. He returned to the farm, several years after the war, and met mr and mrs scholey and their son, who I think was also called John.He kept in contact with Jack Evans (who was Australian) until he died in 1992.
I would love to hear any more stories about the plane or the airmen