East Riding Councillors - Driffield & Rural Wards

General discussion, News and Announcements, etc. from Driffield
cllr.owen

East Riding Councillors - Driffield & Rural Wards

Post by cllr.owen » Fri Nov 10, 2000 9:27 pm

As a local East Riding Councillor representing Driffield I am keen to try out this forum to see if there is a future in this as a means of stimulating discussion on any topics users may wish to discuss or comment on - please respond if interested.

leo

Post by leo » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:59 pm

I think it is a very good idea that Councillors should use a forum like this, it affords the opportunity for local people to raise their concerns and at the same time everyone can see the responses given by their elected Councillors.

My experience of Councillors in Bridlington is not a good one, especially if they are Town and County Councillors because they seem more interested in towing their party line or the policy of the none elected executive at County hall in Beverley. As I am considering moving back in to Driffield, I hope the local Councillors will work hard to address local issues and importantly get action when it is needed. Just to get you off to a good start, it seems a local issue at the moment concerns litter in the town, maybe you could comment on this matter?

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:51 pm

Not to worry, the town will probably disappear in the John Prescott supercity, which is being planned from the East coast to Liverpool. In a city of 15 million people, such trivials won't matter -

Prescott's northern supercity could make London shrivel
Jonathan Leake and Steven Shukor

NORTHERN nightmare or thriving metropolis? John Prescott, the deputy prime minister, has unveiled his grand vision of a supercity of the north intended to rival London in size and economic power.
He wants the 130-mile M62 to become the core of a coast-to-coast “megalopolis” that would stretch from Liverpool to his home city of Hull. The new supercity would encompass Manchester, Leeds and Humberside with spurs linking it to Sheffield to the south and Newcastle to the north — giving it a population of about 15m compared with London’s 9m.

Critics fear the plan would mean concreting over thousands of acres of green fields to build transport links, homes and business facilities. However, if it succeeded in attracting people northwards it could generate thousands of jobs and relieve the pressure on southern housing supplies.

The project is being seen as the swansong for Prescott, MP for Hull East. He is understood to be acutely aware that he could be in his last major government post and is anxious to leave a positive political legacy after the fiasco of his 10-year transport plan, which failed on almost every count.

Prescott has employed a team of academics, architects and design gurus to draw up plans for the conurbation. Among them is John Goddard, professor of regional development studies and deputy vice-chancellor of Newcastle University.

He said Prescott wanted to see “an extended metropolis” big enough to shift the balance of power in England away from London and the southeast.

Goddard compares the proposed supercity, nicknamed “Prezzagrad”, to the American east coast from Boston through New York to Washington. The cities retain separate names and authorities but are seen as a single economic unit. “It will start as a string of cities connected by high-speed rail and road links with its growth driven by knowledge-based businesses such as university spin-offs, research parks and high-tech businesses,” said Goddard.

Despite the prospects for economic growth, critics fear much of the countryside could be endangered by ribbon sprawl along the motorways, despite government pledges that previously developed “brown field” sites would be given priority for building. It is already planned to build 500,000 homes across northern England by 2016.

It is also feared that new housing, road building and public transport growth could create intolerable pressures on nearby national parks such as the Peak district in Derbyshire and the Yorkshire dales.

An official steering group to put the project into practice will hold its first meeting this week. The scheme, provisionally called the Northern Way, is being led by three government-funded regional development quangos bidding for a share of a £22 billion government aid fund for regional development.

Northern England is already being used by planners as a laboratory for new ideas. The architect Will Alsop has championed the idea of a supercity running along the M62. He said he was delighted that “Prescott should pick up on my idea”, although he had had no contact with officials over the plan.

The Northern Way, launched this month, is being seen as a response to criticism that the government is concentrating development spending on southeastern England.

Four large areas have been earmarked for expansion in the southeast. They may create thousands of jobs but have also sparked outrage over the proposed destruction of large areas of countryside, particularly around Stansted airport in Essex.

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:13 am

....and what does the councilor think to these views???????????????

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:55 am

not much chance of a councillor giving an opinion on here folks - these forums are well read and we might actually hear what they say for once. They prefer to spend their time falling out with one another behind closed doors from what I can gather.

dbh1961

Post by dbh1961 » Thu May 24, 2007 9:01 am

quote:Originally posted by Turnip Town

It is true that too many people in Driffield suffer from apathy. Which I suppose suits local politicans as it affords them an easy life.

I thought about setting up the BAP, or British Apathy Party for its full name. I suspect it would be a roaring success and we'd get a 600 plus majority in the house of buffoons....er commons at Westminster.

Rename Driffield Apathyville and have, as a town advertising icon, a big bloke with a builders bum hanging out and the marketing slogan, 'Come to Apathyville, Capital of the Wolds, Home to some of the biggest lazy fat arses in Britain. The home of sitting on your lazy arse and doing nowt. Aye lad!'

There's too much apathy about, but we can't do anything about it, so why bother? :-)

When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, just like my Uncle........not screaming and fighting...... like his passengers
- dbh1961 "This message has been made from 100% recycled pixels"

Galadriel

Post by Galadriel » Sat May 26, 2007 10:31 pm

Not only are they spending their time falling out with one another but they are busy trying to amass as much expenses as they can. Don't forget their free parking passes too while the rest of us mere mortals pay for parking.
Thing is - this is Apathyville so who's going to put themselves up for election and do what the electorate want? And if you progress further and became an MP, whatever enthusiasm you have for the job would soon deteriorate after being consistently beaten down by others whose motives are far more suspect, not to mention being threatened by the security services that if you don't toe the line certain things about you may be revealed and if there is nothing, they'll make something up! Then if you get over that - there is the EU to deal with.
There would be a better health, education and whatever else service for every man, woman and child in this country (providing they ever cap immigration levels) if our money was not going to prop up corrupt EU officials and the barmy CAP!
I don't wish to be a french or any other foreign national but I do wish sometimes we had their motivation - strike when we think there has been an injustice, blockade ports when we feel miffed! riot in the streets when we want something!

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:09 pm

In Europe you go to a supermarket stocked with local produce and food manufactured in their own country. They have wonderful markets with fresh produce. They get their bins emptied weekly and often daily. Streets in cities are washed at night every night. You do not see litter. There is usually an obvious police presence.

In UK we have the supermarkets ripping off the farmers and supermarkets stocked with imported produce. Fresh produce all look alike, taste of nout and cost a fortune. How come a Supermarket like Lidle can import food and sell it cheaper than Tescos? Waste bins are emptied weekly or fortnightly- we are a small country but each parish seems to have different criteria for the coloured bins. Streets never get washed, water drainage is blocked- increases the risk of flooding and you never see a policeman except on very rare occasions.
Well seems like other countries in Europe are doing OK.

Galadriel

Post by Galadriel » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:18 pm

Just about summed it up there plook - difference between us and other countries. As a well known poster says:
Germany sets the rules
France bends the rules
Italy ignores the rules
The other members refuse to read the rules
Britain obeys and pays for every single rule!!

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:40 pm

Do you think there is something being put in the drinking water to make us all so apathetic, that is apart from nitrogen, fluoride, aluminium chloride, chlorine, dead oocytes, I wonder................Oh yes and who is Councillor Owen?