Local shops

General discussion, News and Announcements, etc. from Driffield
plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:32 pm

I dont use plastic bags anymore I have two bags for life and a big orange cool bag and that does it for me. Go for it Andy people have an option of buying a bag for life or using their pockets. Until they are banned plastic bags will continue to be used. East Riding council wonder why there is fly tipping by the less consientiouse when they could at a nominal charge deal with waste as you describe after all they keep stating through their website they are a proactive council,
( I think they mean reactive). Good luck

Andy Rafter

Post by Andy Rafter » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:26 pm

Thanks for the reply Plook,I will give it a couple of weeks with the degradable bags and then make a decision,
Thanks again for taking the time to let me know your views.

A.Rafter

DF

Post by DF » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:41 pm

I would think that if customers are given the option of paying coppers for a disposable bag or buying a reasonably priced bag which will last they shouldn't have too much ground for complaint - although I know some will complain at anything!!
A year ago I was given a bag similar to a pack-a-mac which is in constant use. I have been looking to buy a hessian type shopping bag (these would wash) but the only ones I have found so far have the name of a shop blazoned across them. I object to paying for their advertising!!
We keep 2 shallow cardboard boxes(the stacking type)in the car boot and fill these from the trolley.I was brought up in the "make do and mend" age and have continued along those lines - but I do think this plastic bag thing is a bit of a farce. In the letter we got from the council regarding our fortnightly rubbbish collection it tells us that there will be no smell if we place our refuse in the bin in2 plastic bags!!

Andy Rafter

Post by Andy Rafter » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:16 pm

Hi DF thanks for your comments. We have been stocking the degradable bags now for 5 days, the overwhelming majority of customers have been great. We have had only a handfull who have got really upset about it. Once we speak to them and explain what we are trying to do most of them even come round a little.
I have a few samples of bags coming to me at the moment. Next time youre in the shop let me know I would be interested in your ( or anyone elses for that matter) opinion of the samples I have, I have a nice hessian bag or one of those fold away bags that I think you are referring to.
Regards A.Rafter
p.s if anyone gets the chance take a look at www.driffieldcattlemarket.co.uk for up to the minute news on whats going on at Driff 9

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:31 pm

Once again the Councillors voted in by the Population of Driffield do not listen to that population,when 90% of people surveyed state that they do not want anothers supermarket. Just remmember this when the councilors come up for re-election. DO NOT VOTE FOR THEM.

Judith

Post by Judith » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:41 am

Didn't actually come in that Monday as I was in Hull Royal Eye Clinic - OK now though - but have been in your shop loads of times since. I decided against your carriers (no fuss though) I just put my veg in with my chicken (not a Tesco one!). I do carry a fold-up bag with me now and usually use it. It was much better when I was young and everyone carried shopping bags. Not so cool these days I suppose. Shame you can't take egg boxes back for recycling - I did ask.

Andy Rafter

Post by Andy Rafter » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:27 pm

Thanks Judith glad to hear it. The thing about the egg cartons is a joke. We are not permitted by law to reuse egg cartons because of the date and other information on the box. I know its ridiculous but they are the rules. If you brought back one of the plain cartons we use nobody could stop you doing that, just let one of the staff know what youre doing and that we have discussed it.
Regards Andy Rafter