Local shops

General discussion, News and Announcements, etc. from Driffield
Ms Jones

Post by Ms Jones » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:02 am

....or a charity shop, estate agents or hairdressers....you know something we just don't have enough of in Driff (shame I can't type sarcastically)

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:02 pm

The reason Waitrose is good is because it is owned by shareholders and doesn't chase massive profits like the rest. All staff at Waitrose are considered 'Partners' and get a share of the profits as an annual bonus. This year it was the same as 9 weeks wages which is probably what makes them happy to be there. They also lend you wine and beer glasses for parties completely free of charge.
I love Waitrose, although I do think my shopping bill would go up about 30% if we shopped there all the time.

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:07 pm

Maybe we will get a Tesco Extra - they are greedy enough to want to shops in the town. Have a look at http://www.tescopoly.org/ to read about how nice they are. Driffield is even featured on the Local Campaigns area.

Andy Rafter

Post by Andy Rafter » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:02 am

Its encouraging to read that so many people are happy with the local shops in the town, I have never been under any illusions myself I speak to customers of ours everyday who love the choice on the high street. Obviously there is room for improvement, we as a business(Rafters) are looking at ways of improving our service,(suggestions welcome). However the uncertainty around the proposed development of the Cattle Market and the expansion of Tescos is holding back investment in the town.Until we all know what is going to happen we cannot invest more money and plan for the future.

Regardless of Tescos and all the other supermarkets saying they are good for the town I have still not been able to find any independent evidence to back this up. Just have a word with the residents and business of Market Weighton and Beverley the majority say to me that it has had a negative effect for them.

It is all now at a very crucial stage for Driffield the plans are all been looked at, I agree that Tesco is probably too small for the town and I am as desperate as anyone to see the Cattle Market developed but lets all get involved NOW before its too late and the decisions are made behind closed doors leaving us like so many other towns at the mercy of the Supermarkets.

I could go on and on and I probably will from time to time,so lets hear from you, its your town have your say.

Regards Andy Rafter

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:42 am

I wish I could afford to shop at Waitrose all the time but if you had a Supermarket like that the smaller shops might stand a chance. Lets see what happens to the small shops in Market Weghton with their Tesco.

madmini

Post by madmini » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:48 pm

I do try to shop local and often buy from rafters, iceland etc.. I have only lived in Driffield 2 years, and can not understand why there are now plans for a aldi as well as the lidl that is already here WHY ? i have noticed there are plenty of charity shops and estae agents, can we have some clothing stores which cater more for the younger generation please!

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:16 pm

I visited the recent display of plans for Driffield town centre at "The Bell Hotel" and was like many who also attended was a tad disapointed in the lack of reps from the council. I had questions to ask but there was only one person present at the time I attended and she was in high demand, but there we go.

Among the questions I wanted to ask is "why is it taking so long to decide?" I appreciate there are a mountain of details to go through but now I read in the local press (Wednesday) that a decision date / meeting has yet again been moved. One minute we hear that the Viking Centre development is going ahead, now its on hold again.....why.

Driffield is "The Capital Of The Wolds" and rightly so but by now a decision should be made on what is going to happen.

Personally I would like to see leisure development included in the plans, No town centre housing, some cafe bars / restaurants making use of the beck area, small units to encourage local shops to start or grow and free parking to name but a few.

Can we please have a decision soon? I do hope so!!!!

"Have a great one"
"Have a great one"

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:51 am

As there is talk of people wanting an alternative supermarket to come to Driffield, maybe you will be interested that Asda now deliver home shopping to the Driffield area.

"Have a great one"
"Have a great one"

Judith

Post by Judith » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:22 pm

quote:Originally posted by Andy Rafter
Its encouraging to read that so many people are happy with the local shops in the town, I have never been under any illusions myself I speak to customers of ours everyday who love the choice on the high street. Obviously there is room for improvement, we as a business(Rafters) are looking at ways of improving our service,(suggestions welcome). However the uncertainty around the proposed development of the Cattle Market and the expansion of Tescos is holding back investment in the town.Until we all know what is going to happen we cannot invest more money and plan for the future.

Regardless of Tescos and all the other supermarkets saying they are good for the town I have still not been able to find any independent evidence to back this up. Just have a word with the residents and business of Market Weighton and Beverley the majority say to me that it has had a negative effect for them.

It is all now at a very crucial stage for Driffield the plans are all been looked at, I agree that Tesco is probably too small for the town and I am as desperate as anyone to see the Cattle Market developed but lets all get involved NOW before its too late and the decisions are made behind closed doors leaving us like so many other towns at the mercy of the Supermarkets.

I could go on and on and I probably will from time to time,so lets hear from you, its your town have your say.

Regards Andy Rafter

We've just moved into the area and getting to know Driffield. I'd no idea where to buy my veg until yesterday - an aunt said Rafters is the best for veg. So there you have it! I hope to be on Monday morning!
Judith.

Andy Rafter

Post by Andy Rafter » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:00 pm

Thanks for the plug Judith. Let me know who you are next time you are in our shop.

On a seperate note we as a business try to take a responsible position on all things. The big one as we all know at the moment are the enviromental issues.We have struggled to try to dispose of our waste in an enviromental way. We did start to use East Riding Sacks in Pocklington to take away our cardboard and waste paper but when they put their charges up from £10 per collection to £50 we had to try to find a cheaper alternative. Thankfully we did and it is now collected at £15 per pick up which isnt so bad. We also pay Biffa £80 per week to take away any other waste material we have. I did speak to ERYC but they have no facility for a business to dispose of cardboard and paper unlike many other councils like the ones in the West Riding for example where sites have been set up for any business to take cardboard and paper without being charged. We are also in talks with a group in Bridlington who are hopefully going to take any waste produce we may have to turn into compost.

This really only leaves the plastic carrier bag situation. We have this week begun a trial where we will only be handling degradable bags. These are in replacement of the plastic carriers we have been using for the last few years.Thats the good news, unfortunatley they arent cheap we have been quoted as much as 8p each for these. We have actually managed to pay slightly less than that but we feel that it is only fair if we charge 2p each for them. We think this is the fairest way to do it. We could I suppose put a penny on the produce here and there but then the people who do remember to bring a bag in will be paying just like those that dont or choose not too. Its surprising how many people can manage without a bag once they have to think about cost. That been said the overwhelming majority of people have accepted the situation and seem to agree that we all should start thinking a little bit more about the enviroment. We have also had a few people who strongly object to having to pay for a bag and have let their views be known. One lady on Friday walked out of the shop when the checkout assistant explained what we were trying to do.

I would be very gratefull to hear anybodys opinion on this before we make any long term commitments.

Prior to this trial we were handing out an avereage of 200 plastic carriers per day which is quite frightening when you consider how small an operation we have. You may be interested to know that in Ireland there is a 10p tax on all carrier bags which to me suggests it wont be long before we dont have much choice, but at least ours are degradable I suppose.

We are also looking at the prospect of stocking an equivalent to Tescos bag for life but these are quite expensive also. I have been told theirs come from India in massive quantities I obviously dont know if that is a fact or not but I think it is likely. I have arranged for a few samples from several UK companies after meeting up with them at the Trade Spring Fair in Birmingham this week.

I would be interested in all views relating to this post.

Regards A.Rafter