Local shops

General discussion, News and Announcements, etc. from Driffield
dbh1961

Local shops

Post by dbh1961 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:53 am

Next time you're out shopping in Driffield, take a walk up Middle Street, and get what you can from the smaller shops. When you've done that, you can buy the rest from Tescos, with a clear conscience.

You'll be surprised by how little you actually need Tescos, and how little extra you end up paying in total. Also, you'll find a difference in quality, especially meat and fruit/veg.

The future of these shops really is in our hands. There are some of you who do use the small shops, but there are some who park the car in Tescos, walk as far as the supermarket, and no further.

Now's the time to go back to the shops you've stopped using - use it or lose it!
- dbh1961 "This message has been made from 100% recycled pixels"

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:13 pm

Yes use local small shops- trouble is I cant carry all my shopping, no dont tell me in need a beige shopping trolley.

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:35 pm

Yes support the local small shops- how do I carry all my shopping?

Galadriel

Post by Galadriel » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:16 pm

LOL - You could go into Tesco and buy a bag for life!!!!!!

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:55 pm

I did this, bought my bag for life, put all my shopping in it went to lift it out of the trolley and the handles fell off! Do you think this an omen??? the ones from Wilkinsons are the best.

Ms Jones

Post by Ms Jones » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:53 pm

guess what co-op is shutting what is happening to this town!!!??

dbh1961

Post by dbh1961 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:54 am

What I find annoying with minibanks, is when they offer you the option of "cash with receipt" then, after giving you the cash, tell you they can't produce a receipt.

Why can't they tell you beforehand? I'd rather it said cash with receipt not available, would you like cash without receipt?

I'd prefer to say no, and find another machine, rather than have to remember I'd iwthdrawn cash without a receipt. I know it sounds petty, but I'm meticulous about keeping my own record of my transactions, and I find it easiest if I can just tuck the piece of paper in my wallet, and update my records every few days.
- dbh1961 "This message has been made from 100% recycled pixels"

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:08 am

Where small shops can excel is if they adopt a personal service to the customer. The Americans have got this down to a fine art and its OTT but when I go into small shops I find that the person who serves you is indifferent , couldn't care less attitude, miserable and sometimes offensive. In clothes shops they often stalk you. It should be a pleasure to serve someone because they are paying the wages. The window displays are terrible- the best window displays are in Italy every window in almost every shop, irrespective of size, in any village or town is special. You can see that they have made an effort. As for supermarkets the best one I have been in is Waitrose its clean spacious all the goods neat and tidy the assistants are police but not intrusive, incidentally Waitrose is the smallest of the Supermarket chains.

zoe j

Post by zoe j » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:09 pm

I like to use small shops if i can but i also use the larger stores - mainly for the convienience and parking. Some of the smaller shops in Drifield offer great service and are a pleasure to go into. The ones that don't - then i vote with my feet and go elsewhere. Everyone is entitled to an off day i do agree, but if it's an 'off' day everyday then i don't use them. Overall though i do enjoy coming to Driffield to shop.

Shops think they are saving money by not employing enough staff, which makes for longer queues and disgruntled customers........and also beleaguered staff who have to bear the brunt of these cutbacks. Don't the shops realise that they are losing custom because people cannot be bothered to queue........or in todays hectic world do not have the time to queue.

zoe j

Post by zoe j » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:17 pm

quote:Ms Jones

guess what co-op is shutting what is happening to this town!!!??

Maybe they'll replace it with a 'Harvey Nick's' or a Fortnum and Mason.....LOL ......... any other suggestions anyone??