Moving to Driffield

General discussion, News and Announcements, etc. from Driffield

Moving to Driffield

Post by mellua » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:35 pm

Hello - am thinking of moving to Driffield with my family, as jobs will be bringing us to the Hull area. We live in a market town (down south) at the moment, (which is suffering from much of the same invasion of charity shops), but we would prefer to live in a market town than Hull. As the drive is so long, we've only had time to have a quick drive around the main towns and we quite like Driffield.

It seems you use this forum to raise your concerns about your town, but I was hoping to gain your views on advantages and any "nice sides" of living in Driffield. What is the community like, are there good restaurants/pubs, playgrounds and activities for children, that type of thing. Also does anybody have experience of how long the drive in to Hull takes in reality (e.g. taking into account your tractors and bypassing Beverley, which I hear can get congested)?

Thank you very much for your time!

Valued Member

Post by plook » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:14 pm

There are several county towns around Hull.
Driffield is 30 miles away and an take between half and a hour to get to Hull. Market Weighton is about the same. Beverley is bigger and nearer hull and there is Howden and Gooole.

Post by dbh1961 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:44 am

I assume you mean market towns Plook

- the nearest county towns are York and Lincoln - which are both technically cities, but can still claim county town status.

Mellua, I can't help you with info on restaurants/pubs etc, but I can give you my viewpoint on Driffield in general, to put the postings in context.

We've just moved, in May, from a suburb of Leeds (Morley), to Driffield. Morley is about the same size as Driffield, and is also a market town, albeit swallowed up in the metropolis that is Leeds. I would say that Driffield now is at the stage Morley was at 10 years ago. Driffield has not reached the point of no return, it has only half the number of charity shops, and it still has local independant traders.

I've no regrets about moving, and would recommend Driffield wholeheartedly (to the right sort of people, you undestand). A local nurse put it thsi way when we first saw her - "there are a lot of outsiders moving into Driffield, but they are coming for the right reasons."

The people of Driffield are wonderful - everyone seems so friendly, and willing to pass the time of day. The school lollipop man is a real joy, he's priceless!

Regarding traffic/tractors, I think it's just something you have to put up with. I commute to Leeds, rather than Hull, and I average an hour to do the 55 mile trip, without breaking any speed limits.

We looked at most villages/towns in East Yorkshire, before settling on Driffield. For us, it was the right property at the right price that clinched it.

An indicator of good/bad towns is their insurance rating, and Driffield's is very good. All our premiums have reduced significantly.

One last thought, It's down to us, to use the local businesses, and keep them viable. You, like us would become a custodian of Driffield's future. If we don't contribute, it will go the same way as the towns we're moving from. SHOP LOCAL (and I don't mean Tesco)

- dbh1961 "Why is there only 1 monopolies and mergers commission?"
- dbh1961 "This message has been made from 100% recycled pixels"

Post by Pete » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:30 am

Hi mellua

Re nice restaurants/pubs... the town is starting to see a bit of regeneration in this area. The Lounge Bar and Grill has great food (and portions) and at prices that Driffield folk are willing to pay. The London Bar is another smart bar offering something different away from loutish behaviour. I've also noticed other pubs having a bit of a spruce up including the Full Measure and Original Keys (outside).
There is a popular (mainly with cheapskates) Italian pizza restaurant in the town and Stuarts Fish restaurant is good. I'm predicting a few more eateries for the town next year - lets just hope it isn't McD and BK that come in.
Drive to Hull is not very stressful or congested really - at least compared to other places I have driven to.

PS - if you happen to be Katie Mellua then i've got a place you can stay at.

Post by mellua » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:48 pm

Thanks for all your replies. We've found a house we like, and all going well with chains etc, we will become Driffildians soon.

And sorry Pete, not that Mellua!

Post by Pete » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:48 pm

Never mind - we'll still come to your house warming party when you get moved in.

Post by LizzieJ » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:42 pm

Heh Mellua, I am a newby to Driffield, only moved here in October of last year so still 'finding my feet' so I hope you settle in and feel at home here very soon. L x

Post by Pete » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:53 pm

quote:Originally posted by Turnip Town
You only need a baseball cap and a hoodie to become a Driffieldian!!!!!!!

I always thought of us as 'Driffites'

daniels reef

Post by daniels reef » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:47 am

How about Driffielonians!? Anybody know the real term before this gets out of hand? lol

Live life, Have fun!
Live life, Have fun!

Post by madmini » Sun May 18, 2008 9:35 pm

yeah village idiots, lol only joking