Southern End of Toon

General discussion, News and Announcements, etc. from Driffield
Turnip Town

Southern End of Toon

Post by Turnip Town » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:08 am

Yo People,

I was wondering about a few things that all seem to affect the southern end of Driffield.

First, does anybody know the current progress of the canal restoration ? I last heard that there was the obstacle up Wansford Road of some concrete overbridge that had to be replaced as it was too low for boats to pass under. Has funding and an action plan been put in place to deal with this issue ? It would be interesting to know the current state of play with the canal as I'm sure it would really do something for Driffield by having the navigation up and running again.

Second, does anybody know what is happening to the Railway pub ? It was still functioning when I moved here in 1998 but has since closed and appears to not be going anywhere, (I know, I know, it's hit the buffers - BOOM BOOM - silly middle class journalistic twaddle talk!!) Also, I thought there were plans to develop the site between the railway station and the tyre depot near the bus depot. Did these plans fall through or were they never of any substance in the first place ?

Having said this, I have slowly become suspicious of developments that get the eye and make one think 'ooh, what a nice new development that is' when often it is some speculative venture by some investment company that doesn't actually benefit the local community or economy in any way but simply sucks revenue out of it. Any Tesco store on the cattle market site for instance. I'm sure it will be a grand affair but how is it benefitting the local economy other than to offer a number of relatively low paid dead end jobs and suck revenue away from local businesses ?

It would be nice to see more activity along the southern end of Middle Street rather than it be 'yet more housing'. Building endless new housing in a given area is all very well and noble in theory but without decent local employment i.e. quality employment with career progression and earning opportunities, it simply adds more congestion to the roads due to lousy or non-existent public transport. After all, why is it that in 2007, the bus service between Driffield and York, where quite a few Driffield (and surrounding area) folk travel to in order to work, is still so disjointed and inefficient ? Or have things changed since I last perused East Yorkshire Motor Services timetable ?!

Anyway, I will pack up my soap box for now and get back to finishing this fox sandwich although it may have gone off by now...

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:42 pm

Ok- where have you been? There hasn't been much on the forum- have you been locked in a cupboard and someone as just let you out or was your electricity cut off or did you temporariily lose your sence of humour. Me thinks matron changed your tablets again and got you fitted for one of those nice beige jackets that fastens up the back.
Glad your back!*%!!

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:55 pm

Shhhhhhhh- dont tell anyone but their going to build a Mosque.

Galadriel

Post by Galadriel » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:14 pm

Can't they build a prison instead? We could certainly do with a few more of them!