Shutting down local shop!

General discussion, News and Announcements, etc. from Driffield
grinwolf

Re: Shutting down local shop!

Post by grinwolf » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:31 pm

Sorry if this reply is a bit late, but I don't get out much.

In 2006 Miss Jones discovered that the Heron branch was closing down - I remember it too, somewere on Middle street south were Stuarts' chippie is now? - I'm sure someone will correct me(but thats a subject for another day).
Set me thinking, how many shops are left in Driffield older than 25 years? Is it possible there could be a shop thats been in Driff even longer?
The only one that springs to mind is Sokells - still think owned by the same family. Remember back in the 1960s and 1970s was owned and managed by a Mr. Saville, or similar sounding name.

Over the past 40 or 50 years many family and one man run shops have gone. Just a few that I recall:-
Coopers outfitters in Mill street, Grinsteads decorating and gramaphone records in market place, Peter Honors bakers corner of Exchange Street and Market place, Tindall,s green grocers in Middle street South, Smith's green grocers run by Mr Fred Smith and his son in Market place, Williamson's sweet shop Middle Street South, Hoppers tobacconists corner of King Street - always fasinated by his window display containing dozens of brands of cigs. and baccy(also sold lots of loose baccy), pipes and other now obsolete items for the smoker; kids at the secondary school could buy individual cigs there. There were also a number of other sweet and tobbacco shops scattered up and down the main streets.

One final question I would ask Miss Jones who penned the original artical in 2006 is did she know a Mr Rigsby?

DF

Re: Shutting down local shop!

Post by DF » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:26 pm

What about Alec Hall? and who are the Printers? is it Horsley and Dawsons?
When I was 3 we lived above Southall & Stathers Electrical shop, next door to Tommy Burnett's Fish and Chip shop. The passage to our flat was beside Williamson's Sweet shop. There was Mallinson's, Spencer's Grocers, Phillips Shoe Shop, Philip Lovel the Butcher, The Majestic where I went to sleep during a Shirley Temple film. Oh and the fair on Cross Hill!! I could probably go on and on if I thought really hard.
Happy Days!!