Driffield Nuclear Dump

General discussion, News and Announcements, etc. from Driffield
Galadriel

Driffield Nuclear Dump

Post by Galadriel » Wed May 31, 2006 11:49 pm

Ok So who has seen the local paper today then? Will local folk still be apathetic or will they get up and protest? Will they wait until plans are passed or will they get active now? Decisions, Decisions. As a well known journalist keeps repeating: 'We're all going to hell in a handcart!'

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:09 pm

The article was nothing more than scaremongering by Greenpeace based on an historic short list of sites that were looked at back in the 1980s. I wouldn't expect the Driffield Times to do the tiniest bit of research required to show that, they are much like the rest of the press and love a juicy story - however untrue it is.

I must also add, I haven't read the article in question as I refuse to buy the 20 odd page advertising feature they call the Driffield Times (or Post) to read a couple of pages of useless news.

Galadriel

Post by Galadriel » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:11 pm

I'm thinking of not buying the local papers anymore myself. The Driff Times is full of car adverts and the post is all property. There isn't enough goes on in Driffield to justify two papers (is that goood or bad?). Why can't they merge and give us a paper worth buying?

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:32 pm

Back in the good old days, the Driffield Post was set up to rival the crap Driffield Times. After a few years (to give Driffield folk time to be comfortable with something new) the Driffield Post became rather successful. Successful to the point that the company behind the DT thought they best buy it up to prevent further loss of sales and advertising in their own weekly wittering.

Now they are run as a double whammy by being able to charge advertisers to advertise in both 'papers'. For a paper that carries so many adverts I simply don't see how they can justify the ridiculous price especially when in other parts of the country newspapers of this quality are free and delivered to every house.

Of course, as long as everyone keeps buying both papers then they will happily sell them to you.

tom87

Post by tom87 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:27 pm

34p or whatever they cost, sure thats going to break the bank.

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:12 pm

Doesn't break my bank as I won't lower myself to buy the useless rag

Galadriel

Post by Galadriel » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:12 pm

what's eating your grapes then tom87? just logged on and every comment I've read of yours tonight sounds as if you got out of bed the wrong side this morning. As you yourself said in a different part of the forum, people are only making a point!

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:38 pm

I see that your back on form!
I just hope that the East Riding of Yorkshire is NOT being considered by the Council because if they are considering dumping
Nuclear Waste around here they are in for a shock. They will be going through their risk assessment and looking at cost benefits. I just hope that their is insufficient clay to locate something so catastrophic in this locality.