Skate park

Have your say on news and issues from around East Yorkshire

Skate park

Postby dougiod@aol.com » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:12 pm

Is it only me but does anybody share thefears i do about tis new park and its disasterous possition on Skene Road .
If you do drop me an E-MAIL .
thanks .
dougiod@aol.com

Postby Dee » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:57 pm

I too think that Skerne Road is a dangerous place for a skateboard park. I'm not against a skateboard park at all, the sooner the better and I recall discusions going back to when my bro was abt 12 and he's in his 30's now. The problem with Skerne Rd is the amount of work traffic, the lorries, the traffic to Bell Mills and also the farm traffic to Skerne & Wansford. Its practically a main road now. What is wrong with the old cattle market? Eastgate and beckside don't have much traffic and its centrally situated. All they have to do is place fencing and a gate around it and avoid any shelters of any kind, where drug use and vandalism can occur. Its also accessible to the whole of town. No more housing, please. Councillors, please make arrangements to buy this land for the town and if not a skatepark, then a grassy area for the children to play in. Think about the next generation. The kids of King street and the area around have nowhere to go - if they play outside, the old people complain about them. Children (& young teenagers) need to play to develop. The cattle market was there long before the houses and a skatepark or grassy area would be less smelly. Just an alternative suggestion to consider.
Dee

Postby dougiod@aol.com » Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:05 pm

Thank you for your views on the new skate park, for i am consernend as you are at its possition in driffield. The site on skerne road at face value is ideal, space and once inside the fence, very safe, but to get there the only road in from diff town will be over the railway crossing this is as safe crossing but never the less a very dangerous route, if you are a child on foot on his or her own this crossing can be a life or death walk. Some kids will go in groups and as an adult we know the antics they get up to no matter how innocent. Because of the nugget factory and bell mills i am conserned and worried as to who will look after the well being of all ages as they cross the railway then dodge the HGV,s at Yorkshire Trading then walk, not skate to the park? Your ideas are good and positive, its a shame you are not on the council!
dougiod@aol.com

Postby edbeer » Sun May 23, 2004 6:49 pm

Or for that matter the one in Hornsea which is in the local park
edbeer

Postby Ap0ks_Angel » Sun May 01, 2005 4:20 pm

Although you all have valid points, i know that it was impossible for the skate park commitiee to buy the old cattle market. The skate park commitiee is a group of volunteers and is not a council run project, this would mean limited funds. I understand the commements about the position but everyone thinks the park is a great idea just not on there door step. Skerne road is a perfect site, being close to town center, railway station and bus station, which means easy access for everyone. I think that in the time the park has been running it has proved that the location is perfect for this type of facility. It is one of the best parks in the area with people from hull and scarborough coming to driffield regurarly to use it, which can only be good for the town.
Ap0ks_Angel

Return to The Big Story