Public Workers Strike

Have your say on news and issues from around East Yorkshire

Postby plook » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:37 pm

Yes I worked in the NHS for 40yrs my starting pay was £12.50 per month
and when I retired I was earning £35000 a month for sometimes a 50 hr week, no overtime after 37.5 hrs a week though and on call. In a theatre sister job I was earning 1970-1980's about £4.50 an hour first in last out, try doing an extra 4hrs after doing a 10hr shift, knowing that you had to be on duty at 7am in the morning. If I had chosen to worked in the private sector or done consultancy work for the private sector I would have earned much much more but then I would have had a choice to pay into a private pension scheme. So don't tell me about who is better off. Perks!!what perks? travel expenses at 11p per mile for petrol!about £5.50 subsistence allowance per day if you were away from your base hospital, car parking costs reclaimed on receipt every month.
I restate it is not the public sector workers that are better off its the private sector that needs to catch up! and the public sector challenges by this government is to cover up their incompetence and surprise, surprise a lot of people have bought into this concept including some trade unionists.
plook
Valued Member

Postby rover1 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:39 pm

Private pensions are not safe and how many people are paid a living wage that would allow them any spare money to place in a pension scheme.
rover1

Postby plook » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:36 pm

This has nothing to do with public sector workers its about private sector bosses exploiting their workers.
plook
Valued Member

Previous

Return to The Big Story