Public Workers Strike

Have your say on news and issues from around East Yorkshire

Public Workers Strike

Postby plook » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:49 am

What is your thoughts on the public workers strike?
plook
Valued Member

Postby muffy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:58 pm

one fact emerges with stark clarity.

As a demonstration of the union barons’ power to bring Britain to its knees, the walkout was a resounding flop.

Most children’s education was disrupted (great start), surgery was shamefully delayed (Ditto) and in a few areas, trains and buses didn’t run. But for the most part,life carried on pretty much as normal.

Meanwhile, another fact emerged with the utmost starkness: the pay gulf between employees in the public sector and their poorer counterparts in private industry has grown into a chasm.

If i was a public sector worker i would keep my head down, and look foward to retiring with my guilt edged pension at an early age, not having to work until 65.

How dare they complain, their pensions include my bloody money as well.

Man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
muffy

Postby DF » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:19 pm

Well said muffy.

Why don't the union members look at the pensions they are providing for the union leaders - that is where their subscriptions are going - that is why the leaders called a strike; to try to justify their pay packet (wouldn't say they are "wages" you have to work to earn a wage).

Also our rates and taxes are being used to help fill the pay packets of the union workers - this should stop at once!!

What percentage of the membership voted for the strike in any case???

The members who went on strike must realise that they don't have the support of the rest of the country's workforce or pensioners and should be thankful for the offer on the table. Why should they be treated any better than a roofer, builder, farmworker etc. who all have to work longer before getting a pension??
DF

Postby Turnip Town » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:49 pm

With all due respect, it seems obvious that you have been a bit prone to swallowing the propaganda in the right wing press.

I noticed that the papers screamed that the public sector workers were 'holding the country to ransom' over the industrial action.

However, there was a deafening silence when it came to the subject of how big business and central government hold people to ransom three and hundred and sixty five days a year, for example:

Petrol and diesel prices - we have no control or choice about how oil companies and government extract huge sums from the taxpayer. If you don't buy, you don't get to work.

Isn't that being held to ransom every day of the week ?

Gas and electricity prices - we have no control or choice about how foreign owned utility firms extract the maximum amount from consumers who essentially have a simple choice - pay sky high prices or freeze to death in winter.

Supermarket prices - we have no control, generally speaking, about how the powerful supermarket chains extract the maxmimum amount from shoppers. Yes you can economise to some extent but there comes a limit. You still have to pay their high prices or starve.

Banks - need I say more regarding bank charges ? Remember all the fuss when the bank charges issue went to court ?

Taxes - we have little real choice there. Existing taxes raised - petrol, diesel (fuel duty and VAT), gas & electricity (VAT & environmental surcharges), parking, council tax (increased by one hundred per cent or more in many areas due to central government policy under New Labour - did services improve by a similar amount ?), business rates, insurance premium tax,and many, many more. Other taxes introduced or exemptions abolished - remember MIRAS and the exemption of vehicles of twenty five years old or older from road tax ? Hello Mr Brown, are you there ?

Train fares - how many inflation busting increases have there there been in 2011 and before that since privitisation ?

And as regards public sector pension provision, if the sums paid by taxpayers every year were actually invested instead of being frittered away on wasteful projects or given away in foreign aid, we might have sufficient in the bank to pay for them.
Turnip Town

Postby plook » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:17 pm

Its not public sector workers that are the problem.

Its the private sector workers. Why haven't they paid into a private pension scheme? Why hasn't the boss insisted that workers are a member of a private pension scheme? Answer because private workers wanted the money in their hand and the boss either couldn't give a toss or thought lets leave it to the individual to decide. The private sector needs to put its house in order

As Turnip Town says don't believe all you read in the press or you could blame it on Gordon Brown, climate change or the Euro. Don't you think it is a bit odd that the majority of us have to cope with austerity measures but the bankers and the share holders don't.

Don,t you think its a bit odd that two individuals in charge of banking and organisations that where bailed out with our money have been knighted in the New Years Honours-I do.
plook
Valued Member

Postby muffy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:16 pm

The way the pensions are going at the moment i do not blame any one for not paying into a private pension, it is not safe, and a far as being guaranteed any thing at the end is a bloody joke. Its better off being in property or land, at the moment, anyway.

Nobody should be able to hold the country to ransom, be it private or public workers, but things will never change. As for propoganda in the gutter press, i for one make up my own mind on these issues.

At least thats what you get in a democracy, freedom of thought and speech.

It would be a boring old world if every one agreed with each other, that would take all the fun out of arguments :).

quote:
The members who went on strike must realise that they don't have the support of the rest of the country's workforce or pensioners and should be thankful for the offer on the table. Why should they be treated any better than a roofer, builder, farmworker etc. who all have to work longer before getting a pension??
I totally agree with that statement DF.

muffy

Postby plook » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:54 pm

Well fancy a year on: The government has decided that the private sector bosses have to ensure their employees ARE paying into a private pension scheme- just like public sector workers had to, fancy that eh!

Oh its no use standing on the seat the crabs in there can jump ten feet!
plook
Valued Member

Postby DF » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:59 pm

quote:
Originally posted by plook
Well fancy a year on: The government has decided that the private sector bosses have to ensure their employees ARE paying into a private pension scheme- just like public sector workers had to, fancy that eh!

The Private Sector Pensions still won't be as high as the Index linked Public Sector. Nor will we be subsidising them!!
DF

Postby plook » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:10 pm

I'm not surprised because it has been voluntary in the private sector and individuals chose to take the money -until till very recently when they have to contribute. Public Sector workers have always been paid lower than private sector workers.
plook
Valued Member

Postby DF » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:57 pm

quote:
Originally posted by plook
I'm not surprised because it has been voluntary in the private sector and individuals chose to take the money -until till very recently when they have to contribute. Public Sector workers have always been paid lower than private sector workers.

Pull the other one - it has bells on!! I worked for Local Government for 20 years, all be it in a lower paid job (catering). I know what the Office workers and heads of department were getting and how much pension - Far more than any Private Sector worker in a comparable job and more "perks". So you can't fool me!!
DF

Next

Return to The Big Story