Is it me?

Have your say on news and issues from around East Yorkshire
plook
Valued Member

Is it me?

Post by plook » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:25 am

Most of us give to charity in some form or another but what I cant get my head around is these selective anticancer drugs that cost a fortune? People donate lots of money to cancer research, if this money goes into research to produce these drugs why do they cost so much and why doesn't the Cancer Research Charities pay for these drugs for the small amount of people that would benefit from them? or is it me?

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:27 pm

No, it's not you. Drug companies make more money from preventative drugs, because they are prescribed to more people and don't have to wait for a minority to actually show symptoms. Similarly, they release updated versions of old drugs, to give them new life and a hefty price increase.

However, I know little enough to comment on whether or not they are value for money. I especially wouldn't want to criticise, if that particular drug really did prolong a persons life.

Finally, I do think the NHS is best placed to negotiate new drug prices, but doesn't do enough to do so.

plook
Valued Member

Re: Is it me?

Post by plook » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:28 pm

I think that the NHS has to pay top prices for everything. There must be at least one third of all bought in products could be accessed locally or at least within Yorkshire.

SueG

Re: Is it me?

Post by SueG » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:58 pm

All I can say is that I was very grateful to be prescribed Tamoxifen, and after that, Letrazole - hence I am here 9 years after the event :)
Sue