Maintainence of becks and small rivers

Have your say on news and issues from around East Yorkshire
plook
Valued Member

Maintainence of becks and small rivers

Post by plook » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:52 pm

Could anyone advise me ?
Landowners that have land that includes a river bank are responsible for the maintenance of the bank.
Under road bridges, work required to maintain a satisfactory flow of water is the responsibility of East Riding Council or on land owened by the council.
The Environment Agency have "permissive powers" to get work undertaken to ensure a satisfactory flow of water is maintained. What are permissive powers? No power at all to do anything??

orinoco

Post by orinoco » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:02 pm

Not all waterways are the responsibility of the land owner,the larger ones are maintained by the internal drainge board, over seen by the environment agency. It is in the landowners interest (in most cases anyway) to clear out their own dykes, so that their land drains will work properly, the problem as i see it is the larger waterways are not cleaned out regular because it might upset a water vole, or some plants (which have been living in the same waterways for hundreds of years anyway), pollution is probably more of a cause to their demise, than dyke cleaning.

An interesting thing to note is the environment agency have sold off all their "weeders" and put it all out to tender, so as not to be held responsible.

And now after all the flooding, all hell as broken loose and all dykes are getting the treatment, so we can say good bye to the Voles etc anyway,funny how things change.

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:21 pm

I asked if all the voles had drowed but was told no, they drill or whatever to higher ground- where I live that must have been about 1/2 mile- so I guess if they can do that dykeing and dredging should be a piece of cake to them. Thanks Orinoco , much appreciated.

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:57 pm

There are some farmers that do maintain their dykes and ditches but not many where I live. Those ditches and dykes were built for a purpose that has been overlooked for many years by most farmers. In the recent floods water ran off the land taking top soil, killing worms and flooding roads and homes. East Riding council do not maintain road side gulley's to assist the drainage, do not maintain stream beds under road bridges nor their land adjacent to streams and the Environment agency use weasel words to confuse and devolve their responsibility. Like all disasters there is more than one cause ie., an extreme of weather, East Riding Council and the Environment agency- oh yes and local enquiry into the response to the local floods is to be held in closed session. Well that's what they call open government!

Galadriel

Post by Galadriel » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:53 pm

I'd been merrily driving along of late when I noticed big chunks missing out of the verges every few yards and thought perhaps a tractorrrr had been doing wheelies or something when I suddenly realised it must have been a digger trying to find the drainage holes!!! Not that it appears to have done much good - this week there was just as much water on the roads as ever!